Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Da na na na na na na na Batman!

Ok let's get to the goods. I said I'd make a top 10 of things I love so let's get to it. Today I'm counting down the top 10 Batman: The Animated Series (1992) villains, since I don't read the comic books. I'm doing Batman first because it is common knowledge (and I will thumb wrestle anyone who says otherwise) that Batman has the greatest villains of all time (and this is coming from a harcore Marvel fan).

10. The Mad Hatter (a.k.a. Jervis Tetch) - The lab genius weirdo who's obsessed with Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland and uses his technology to control the minds of people around them all for.. what else? LOVE.

9. Red Claw - this manly femme fatale is the leader of a terrorist organization also known as Red Claw that threatened to take over Gotham City

8. Hugo Strange - the man used his genius to cleverly find out Bruce Wayne was none other than Batman and then proceeded to auction off that information to the highest bidder bringing The Penguin, Two Face, and The Joker all in the same episode. Now, that's a good villain. From what I gather (on Wikipedia) his role in the comic books is even MORE genius.. he might just get me to pick up a DC comic.

7. The Riddler (a.k.a. Edward Nygma a.k.a. E. Nygma.. nice.) - He was always my third favourite villain as a child growing up but The Riddler been knocked down a few pegs since I recently watched the entire series over again. But what's not to love about a man who turns every fight into a game. Lucky Bruce is so smart (and chiseled).

6. Mr. Freeze  - I was never a fan of Mr. Freeze as a child (though I did love Aaaaahnold's interpretation of him), but his background story is so sad and sweet he just had to be on this list. The last scene of Heart of Ice (1x03) was so sweet when he's sitting in his cell and it's snowing and he's talking to his wife :(

5. Ra's al Ghul

What's interesting about this man is that all of his villainy is in the name of creating Utopia. The problem and only thing stopping him is the people who already exist and are taking the world for granted. His idea is to wipe the world clean of them and start over.. good plan. I also have him to thank for getting me some shirtless Batman action.. god I need man so I can stop pining over cartoons :S.\

4. The Scarecrow (a.k.a. Jonathan Crane) - Though his appearance changed drastically from his first appearance in Nothing to Fear (1x10) to his next in Fear of Victory (1x19); my favourite episode of his being Dreams in Darkness (1x31), the scarecrow is a pretty solid villain. I never realized how frightening his character really was until I saw Batman Begins, and it is likely that Cillian Murphey's portrayal is the frightening aspect lurking in the background while I watch episodes with the Scarecrow, nonetheless he is an excellent Batman villain because of the fact that he plays on people's fears and uses is psychiatry background to do it.
3. Two-Face (a.k.a. Harvey Dent) - As a child, Harvey Dent was my favourite villain. This was because he sometimes showed kindness to Batman and because everything came down to a 50/50 chance. Perhaps he would attempt to kill Batman, or maybe not. Though he seemed like a total creep before half of his face got burned, Harvey Dent's halfnhalf lifestyle makes him my number 3 villain. Also.. love the coin toss/ the story of how Harvey became two-face/his battle with multiple personalities.


2. The Poison Ivy (a.k.a. Pamela Isley) & Harley Quinn (Dr. Harleen Quinnzel) duo -
a) Girl Power
b) Harley and Ivy (1x47) - love the storyline, it's definitely in my top 10 Batman episodes (which I will be sounding off later on)
c) Love that they're besties! and the amount of crime they pull off together :D I also love the way Harley foils Ivy's work.
d) Love love love that Ivy gave Harley the antidote to all of her poisons <3 like I said.. Besties!



1. The Joker - I know, I know EVERYONE says The Joker, but it's for a reason! Though he was my second favourite villain as a child (mostly because I was too frightened to embrace him as a favourite), the Joker is a fantastic villain. His hypnotic laughter and ridiculous schemes are exciting enough but the fact that he really is the polar opposite of Batman, the Yin to his Yang, if you will, makes him an excellent villain. The other thing that is really great about the Joker is the fact that his origins keep changing, and he always leaves you guessing. Plus what's a better scheme than trying to brand his smile on such products like the Joker Fiish?

No comments:

Post a Comment